Monday, October 17, 2011

NaNo and the guest Blogger Trelk

National Novel Writing Month-the True Madness of it all-with Guest Blogger-Michael, or as he’s known in NaNoland Trelk

For those who don’t know about NaNoWriMo, is one month, 30 days, of sitting in front of your computer and writing. The goal is 50,000 words, unedited, and completely insane writing. In its 13th year, NaNoWriMo has been the culprit for sleepless nights, over-indulgence of caffeine, and a layer of dust on the stove. It’s madness, I tell you, but don’t take my word for it.
I’ve asked Michael, a fellow NaNo inmate, to stop by and answer a few questions that may or may not prompt you to join the insanity.
Michael, when was the first time you sat down and joined NaNoWriMo, and WHY?

It was in 2006 one of my new friends (first semester of college) had been a participant multiple years and she had started to crow about it.  Naturally I asked 'Huh?'  The moment I knew about this wonderful little rabbit hole I've plunged in headfirst each time.  Simply because, well... I've neevr had so much fun as I do when I join up with so many other people to do something utterly psychotic.

Aside from Chris Baty—the creator of this craziness—who was your inspiration to keep on the path of 50,000+?

Honestly there have been a number of people.  Jasper Fforde has always been my primary inspiration from the moment I discovered him.  His Pep Talk that he gave last year was wonderful.  It backs up the first rule of writing: You must write.  So I have.

We all, as in the NaNo inmates, know that the word count average per day is 1667, what was the largest number of word you’ve written in one sitting? And why couldn’t you just get up and shower?

Twenty one thousand.  Yeah very nearly half of my NaNo word count last year was made up in a single sitting.  Why?  Because it had to be done.  I was ridiculously far behind.  If I hadn't managed that I would not have made it to the finish line.

After November 30, what was the first thing you did?

I slept. 

How many years have you checked in to the NaNo asylum, and how many years did you escape with your hair intact?

This year would be my fifth year to participate.  I don't know that I ever have.  The first three years I suppose I did because I didn't make it to the end thus I was obviously not doing enough crazy.  Last year though.  During my 21k word session I was writing all the way through the night and for about 3 or 4 hours nobody else was on twitter.  So using my account and the account I'd made for a character in my previous NaNo I challenged myself to wordwars.  Not what I would call sane.  I never even managed to win them just kept the other me from winning.

Has any of your NaNo Novels been published? If so, would you like to share a little about your work? (web-site, buy link, cover art)

No.  I would love to be able to say otherwise but alas this is not so.

Have you already planned what you’ll write this year? Or, in the case that we’re already knee deep in the insanity, what’s your word count to date?

I never really plan anything out in the typical sense.  I've been world building and a bit of character creating.  But if I ever touch plot until the minute that NaNo actually starts it'll just drag me down. 

Any last words to someone just pondering stepping into the NaNo Pool?

Come on in the waters fine.  If you do make sure to go to write ins.  That's when it truly becomes apparent that you are not the only crazy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment