Thursday, June 23, 2011

Random Thoughts Thursday With Jordan Rose

When Characters Take Over!

Has this ever happened to you? You’re sitting down, minding your own business, trying to relax, maybe eating lunch on a nice sunny day when -BAM- a “character” pops into your mind and you know she’s not leaving any time soon.

If you’re a writer, it’s happened. And it’s probably happened more than once. Today, I’d like to talk about my experiences with this sort of intrusion. I’m calling it an intrusion because at the moment it is.

When I wrote Perpetual Light, my debut novel, releasing in Winter 2012 from Crescent Moon Press, each of the characters came to life mostly as the story unfolded. There were a couple times when Lucia, my heroine, or Vittorio, her hero, slipped into my thoughts as I was learning about secondary characters or when I was trying to understand the flow of the story.

Of course, they both woke me from sound sleep on a number of occasions to work through plot issues or some conflict or to tell me about their love story. And I didn’t mind. I enjoyed getting their story onto the screen.

They were kind, in love, urgent at times, but typically respectful. They still are. As I begin to consider the plot for the next book in their series, they seem quite willing to work with me.

On the other hand, there’s Eva. Eva Prim. The heroine of my current Work in Progress. The antagonist of my life. She’s a vampire on the hunt for friends. And it’s quite clear to me why she doesn’t easily make or keep them.

She can’t control herself.

When Perpetual Light sold at the end of April, I was on cloud nine. Singing my news from rooftops, telling everyone who knew me about the wonderful happenings in my writing life.

Little did I know, she was brooding. Her hot little temper percolated with a jealousy the likes of which I wasn’t prepared for. She finally blew a few weeks back and she did it on Twitter. She has her own website and Twitter and Facebook accounts. She blogs and comments, and people actually listen! 

And she knows how to use social media. We got into a little argument on the social network. She put an ad on Twitter looking for a writer who’d focus on her story. Someone “who’ll care about me.”

And I took the bait, arguing with her over the fact that no one cares about her more than me. She was a bit insulting.

Needless to say, I’m completely unable to focus on anything else but her. Her story, her conflict, her needs. It has to get written or my life will never be the same.

Have you battled character intrusions? Had to deal with focus issues as every waking thought is hijacked by your hero or heroine or someone you thought was a secondary character? I’d love to hear your techniques for handling these situations.

PS- how could I ever get away without mentioning Eva’s contact info: website- www.evaprim.com; twitter- https://twitter.com/#!/evaprim





Bio:

After trying her hand at many, many things- from crafting and art classes to cooking and sewing classes to running her own handbag business, Jordan finally figured out how to channel her creativity. With an active imagination and a little encouragement from her husband she sat down and began to write, each night clicking away at the keys with her black Labrador, Dino curled up under the desk.

A few short years later she’s entered the publishing arena with no plans to ever turn back. Jordan’s first book, Perpetual Light, debuts from Crescent Moon Press in Winter 2012. Check her website for upcoming contests and giveaways.

Jordan’s a member of RWA National, and the New England (NEC), Connecticut, and Fantasy, Futuristic and Paranormal (FFnP) Chapters.

Find Jordan on her website at www.jordankrose.com. 
Follow her tweets on https://twitter.com/#!/jordankrose 
Friend her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/jordankrose

9 comments:

  1. Mmm U don't really have characters doing that to me, BUT, in saying that, once they are bormn they do seem to play out scenes in my mind. I sort of go into a daydream, only I don't star in it lol Darn inconvienient if I'm driving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have created a unique separate identity for your character on social media networks. This is a great way to get a following for your character and create a buzz about future books. Best of luck on writing her story and bringing her to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I wrote my first Paladin book, which was about Devlin Bane, another Paladin name Blake Trahern kept shoving his way to the front of every scene he was in. I had to go back and rewrite several to make sure Devlin got his day in the spotlight. The only way I could get Trahern to back off and behave was promise him the second book would be about him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to pop in and say hi! Hi all!!! Great article. My characters control me. I've even had one tie me up. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Margaret. Thanks for stopping by. I think every writer has some sort of character-control issue. It's funny how they do become the stars of our daydreams and night dreams! Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Regina. Thanks so much for the well wishes. I sort of had no choice in the creation of Eva. She was having it her way or no way! Jordan :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alexis. Isn't it great when the characters lead you down the series path? And it's not until you commit to them that you're going to give them what they want/need that they step back from interfering with every scene. I love the creative process. Thanks for stopping by. Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rachel! Thanks for stopping by. I think you might have just as many challenges with your characters as I have with mine! I love it. Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw a guy with a tee shirt that said, "Nine out of ten voices in my head say, 'DON'T SHOOT.'

    It's like that sometimes when you're a writer. Characters can be pushy.

    If they get too pushy I remind them that I've killed POV characters before. "Remember Pferd," I tell them.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete